We know that some international students are struggling right now, we want to tell you that you are not alone, we are in this together and as a family, we will not let you down.

The Victoria Government is currently finding ways to support the international student Community, the website Study Melbourne shows a wide variety of support that you as part of this community can access. We know that is a hard time but we don’t want you to think that you are by yourself. 


If you haven’t got time to have a look we will listed the options of support that you have. 

One-off rent relief grants

For people in rental hardship due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) crisis, to help keep renters in safe and stable accommodation. 

  • The Victorian Government has established an $80 million rental assistance fund to provide rent relief payments of up to $2000 to Victorians experiencing rental hardship due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.  The one off grant is specifically for tenants living in their primary residence to help them maintain safe, secure and stable accommodation. It is paid directly to the tenant’s agent, lessor or landlord to contribute to the tenant’s rental payments, under their new rental agreement.

If you are unable to pay your rent due to financial hardship, in the first instance you should contact your landlord or property manager as soon as possible to negotiate an alternative arrangement such as rent reduction.

When you reach an agreement, make sure it’s in writing and lodge the agreement with Consumer Affairs Victoria

You may then be eligible for a Rent Relief Grant.


Utility relief 


  • The grant provides help to pay a mains electricity, gas or water bill that is overdue due to a temporary financial crisis. The amount of the grant is based on the amount you owe at the time of application. It is also based on the reasons you have given for applying in your application form.  You can receive a maximum of $650 on each utility type in a two-year period (or $1,300 for households with a single source of energy (for example, electricity only). You can apply for separate grants for each utility (electricity, gas and water).


  • Food, clothes, support, and also acommodation, you will find a directory of local councils, NGO’s, Social Organisations offering support. Many local councils across Melbourne and Victoria have developed resources that link community members with information about food relief and support services available during this pandemic.  You can visit their websites here for more information.

International Student Emergency Relief Fund

Applications are now open for the Victorian Government’s $45 million International Student Emergency Relief Fund. The fund will support international students in Victoria who are facing financial hardship through lost wages and work as a result of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. The fund is being delivered in partnership with Victoria’s tertiary education providers.

The Victorian Government is committed to supporting our international student community during this difficult time. You are not alone. We will get through this together. The International Student Emergency Relief Fund complements the range of relief programs offered by the Victorian Government and Victoria’s universities and education providers.

  • The International Student Emergency Relief Fund will be delivered in two streams.  Please click here to see the one that applies to your current situation.

Working for Victoria

  • There are many opportunities to contribute to Victoria’s ability to respond to coronavirus (COVID-19). For example, care giving, operating machinery, preparing food and working in agriculture and food production.

    We’re also providing training to help you change or update your skills to work in an area that is now hiring or is likely to be in the future.

    What to do

    1. Register on Sidekicker: tell us about your experience and the kind of work you’re looking for. You will receive an activation email when your registration is processed.
    2. Look for jobs: use Sidekicker to access work opportunities.
    3. Do some training: you will get access to free short online training units to help you update your skills. You may also be eligible for free TAFE courses.
    4. Apply: apply for jobs that suit you.
    5. Get a job: if your application is successful, you are ready to start work.

There are some other Organisations that are providing special support to International Students like Australian Red Cross


As we mention at the beginning of this post, you are not alone and there are so many ways to find support right now. If you are struggling right now and you have find troubles at the time to extend your student visa, we will be more than happy to assist you. Just click here to find more information. 


We are all in this together. 

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top